Friday, September 30, 2011

Reflections on Progress

Looking back at the resolutions I made for myself for this year, I find that I've more or less realized my goals. To recap...


This year I resolve to:
~Practice a vegan diet and eat more salads
~Buy organic when possible
~Drink more tea, less coffee
~Cook more with variety
~Research and Learn
     + Ask questions
     + Read
     + Converse
     + Explore
     + Listen
~Create
~Dance
~Build new relationships and strengthen old ones
~Focus on family
~Live actively, not idly



I can't even begin to describe how much things like dancing and spending a good amount of time interacting with people will change your mood. I'm not sure I've ever been happier that I am right now, and I have felt this way for a good while. I always feel like things can improve in every situation, so as my 21st birthday approaches (Sunday!! Hurray!!) there are a few things that I feel would enhance my quality of life. However, instead of making a bunch of resolutions for this year, I have decided to make just one very serious commitment. 


I'm making a commitment to myself to really pursue happiness in all aspects of my life; to avoid situations and circumstances that create anxiety, stress, or bad feelings; and to maintain a balance between responsibility and liberty. 


I know some of the things that keep me sane and balanced.
- Stretching every night before bed
- Getting regular exercise
- Eating well
- Talking with good friends
- Spending time with family
- Interacting with nature
- Nurse my passion


It will be a little tougher staying committed to avoid the stressors in my life that are unnecessary. 
- Overeating
- Procrastinating 
- Clutter
- Lack of sleep


And in addition to all of that, I'd like to explore and learn about new things, places, and people. We are in this world to interact with who or what is around us. This is what makes life interesting and be having positive relationships with our environment, our lives can be a little more carefree. However, though it seems as though some of my commitments are to others such as my family and my friends, in the end these are just commitments to myself to lead the happiest, most fulfilled life, because at the end of the day, the only thing that is really important in my world is my own happiness... and I am the only one that is responsible for creating it.


Express your right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment